You wake up with your head feeling stuffed like a pillow, your eyes pink and matte, your lips dry and struck, and a mind that can’t think straight. Smell the air; smell your sour breath. These are those quiet few seconds before a headache kicks in: before the bright light blares through the curtains and pierce your eyes before this ringing pain jolts your skull. This won’t last long. You are hungover!
Healthy drinking is all about balancing and making smart decisions while you enjoy the evening, without the actions of that evening spoil the morning after. The difference between waking up fresh as a daisy and spending your whole next morning in bed is a bit of planning and foresight.Well, do not fret, as we bring you some effective ways to overcome a hangover and save you from turning your night’s fun into next morning’s nightmare!
Line-up your stomach before you start the evening!
- Grease up before you go: One longstanding remedy to avoiding a hangover is to take a spoonful of olive oil before a party begins. Eating a pizza or fatty food has the same effect. Both are said to grease the intestines so the alcohol takes longer to absorb.
- Stay well-fed through the day: Having a big meal before a night out isn’t the idea here. You must have to eat proper meals, through the day as well when you have plans for a big night ahead.
Remember this while you are drinking!
- Slow Down while drinking: Drink slowly, and as a rule, don’t consume more than one drink per hour, which helps give the body time to metabolize the alcohol. To keep busy, focus on creating great conversations with someone.
- Take Alternate drinks: For every alcoholic drink, order a glass of water with ice and fresh lime _ it’s an excellent source of Vitamin C and adding some flavor will likely help you drink more. You can also consider adding an effervescent electrolyte to further help prevent dehydration.
- Consume sugar: Studies show that fructose may speed alcohol metabolism, thus reducing the risk of a hangover. It’s important to eat sugar while you’re drinking, not before, since fructose metabolizes quickly.
And, before you call it a night!
- Drink a hangover smoothie: A smoothie gives you a bang for your buck: quick to make, convenient, nutritious and yet tasty, it is a blend of coconut water, protein powder, frozen berries and a handful of spinach. This drink offers Vitamin C which stabilizes the blood sugar level.
- Stay Hydrated: Alcohol is a diuretic, so it’s important to drink lots of water before, during and after drinking. Coconut water is also a great option, because of its electrolyte content and ability to help you hydrate quickly.
- Eat eggs: There’s actually some science behind the idea of frying up some eggs the morning after: the amino acid, cysteine, contained in egg yolk assists your liver in breaking down acetaldehyde from alcohol.
So, these are some tips you should keep handy to survive the morning after drinking. With these tricks underplay, you are sure to enjoy a night of partying and wake up fresh to kick-in the new year.Cheers!